How Should I React?


Image result for question

How Should I (or We) React?



As time trickles on and I interact more with people, I find myself asking this very question (How should I react?). This will not be a very long post, but I think it is essential to at least analyze different possibilities and potential outcomes. Think of this post as some light and easy reading before starting your day or while taking a break from work. The intent is not to articulate some proper prose form but rather write as a story, one that flows and nestles nicely with the content so....On we go!

In no sense do I proclaim myself as an all-knowing individual. Actually, it is quite the contrary. I am merely living a life of inquiry and believe I have found undeniable evidence to suggest that God exists, or at least it is reasonable to believe in God. With that said, since I do believe this to be the case, I do make content that puts this idea forward or grounds our reality on the metaphysical notion that God exists. Those who believe they have truth, be it a portion of it or the whole of it (albeit having all truth is highly unlikely), seek to share that truth with others. That is my entire goal with my writing, podcasts, videos, and my life, to see that others see truth. This often leads me to have exciting and sometimes unkind interactions with people. One such occurrence has happened recently, and it leaned towards the interesting and not the hostile side of things, which is good.

A person responded to a podcast interview that I had with C4C Apologetics Ministry. They did not listen to the podcast but apparently felt spammed by the content that happened to pop up on their news feed. As it seems to be the case in modern society, interactions typically take place in short bursts and through the usage of “memes.” or slogans. This particular interaction started no differently. There was a meme used that suggested the Bible did not say that Jesus was not a velociraptor so therefore he was one and he went extinct for our sins. How am I (or anyone for that matter) supposed to react to something like this? Well, I decided to engage because I had never seen this type of claim before and I thought it rather funny. I asked some questions and we had a relatively short interaction, but it went fine. I mentioned to this person that I have had interactions because of my “spam” that has led me to deal with outraged and irate people. Thanking this person for not lashing out was a priority since I think kindness should be commended especially in a society that seeks to shut others down by simply being louder, angrier, or meaner. What was interesting is that he seemed to think that because he did not react to me in such an offensive manner and I was appreciative that I somehow was responsible for his “blasphemous” (as he claimed them to be) memes. Am I genuinely accountable for these blasphemous memes? Am I culpable for finding them funny? I do not think I am. These kinds of interactions (the usage of memes and slogans) can be funny because it is hard to see how they can be grounded in anything real besides their superficial connection to something real or at least others proclaim them to be real. With that pointed out to the individual more memes ensued, and the interaction trickled down to nothing quickly.

Therefore, I have decided to write. How are we to react when someone decides to make a quick and unthoughtful response to something we do? My first thought on the matter is we probably should not get angry. In today’s culture, it seems that anyone who opposes us (us being a general statement for anyone, not Christians specifically) seeks to simply get a reaction by using these quick and thoughtless methods. Why should something not really thought out cause a reaction from a person who (in theory) has thought long and hard about their position? The gut response is to become angry and maybe your anger would be justified since these quick methods are usually cheap shots. But what good will come of it? Probably nothing.

Humor seems to be a disengaging method and seems to be my default response to these types of interactions. Though I will say it may not be perfect, it did seem to cause a great deal of confusion in the person I was talking with. By disengaging, I mean to say that the person's guard will come down when they realize that you are a person. It is easy in an electronic world to forget that these comments and posts are not reducible to words on a screen. There was intention behind them, they were done with a purpose, and were arguably done by another person. Today, people seem to be disconnected from the fact that there are other conscious beings out there. I could be over generalizing here and probably am, but this situation may be too complex to articulate simply. Meaningful discussion will rarely happen in a short time. Almost anything worthwhile will require some sort of significant time investment, and having conversations about religion or reality is no different.

What is my point? I think it is crucial that if we truly desire to have meaningful interactions with people and desire to get to some form of truth, then we must not delude ourselves to the usage of quick and thoughtless responses. What I mean to say is the over-use of memes and slogans! Of course, there can be grains of truth captured in these single images, but they hardly cover the whole of reality, nor do they cover the whole of a position.

As Christians, I think it very important to not allow these kinds of responses to cause a swelling of irritation in us that we devolve into some irrational beasts that must consume our prey before they escape (overstatement? Maybe). Yes, we live in a world where God is not a concern for many people. Yes, they will post or say things that are probably highly offensive to God. But in the grand scheme of things, who is responsible for those things? The person giving them, not us. We are responsible for our character and the way we handle things. So, blasphemy will reign supreme in a Godless World (not a judgment people), that seems to follow. If people do not subscribe to a system of belief, then they will probably say and do things that are contrary to that system of belief. That is alright! It is by our love they will know we are followers of Christ. Our goal in these cases should not be to tout anger around as a handmaiden but instead, dismantle the intellectual nonsense of these things. If we can disarm these thoughtless methods of their seemingly intellectual power what else is left? Nothing but shallowness. What do angry responses get us? Nothing but a confirmation to the other person that we have nothing to offer them, or God has nothing to offer them. Remember, anything meaningful, and that will require change, may involve hurt feelings, feelings of shame and anger, and possibly someone getting offended. If these qualities were not possible, then we would be left with nothing but a superficial existence. Take comfort in knowing that we can become offended. It means that we are holding onto something we find valuable. But if we find that something valuable, then we should treat it and live it as something valuable. It is a fundamental aspect of the Christian ethic that all persons were created in the image of God. Yes, even the person that posts memes about “Raptor Jesus.” If I (or you) devolve into slander, we are showing we do not value our worldview and surely do not value the image of God. Keep this in mind the next time you want or think about unleashing the fury of hell on a person that offends you. Stay Blessed!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apathy Hinders Inquiry: An Argument Against Apathy and Strong Agnosticism

Know Your Why: The Importance of Apologetics

Open Theism and Evangelicalism