Letters of the Soul

Introduction

            Is it the will that wills or is it the soul that guides? Maybe it is the heart that possesses each and meticulously orchestrates the pathways of life. Whatever your perspective, one thing is for certain, we all must deal with the inner parts of ourselves. Below is a collection of letters that were discovered. These letters were written by the inner parts of one man, let us call him Dave. Dave is unaware of these letters, nor is he aware of the finer workings of the writers. There are times when he (Dave) seeks to live out a certain position, his own. There are also times when he seeks out to live according to the word, Christ. A dichotomy lies deep within him for he desires so much and contends with his heart. His mind makes suggestions which the heart ignores. He becomes torn and hopeless yet filled with hope at the same time. Dave is trapped between liars and truth-bearers, wrecked by every passing day.

            Should he concede to the liars or place trust in the truth? The tearing at his Soul seems endless, but some fight for it. The Soul is the essence of the man, and the heart seems to be the modus operandi, as the standard that is. At times, the heart eclipses the soul and others the soul eclipses the heart. Where do you stand? Learn what you will from Dave and his inner workings. Just know the battle is not lost nor are you defeated. The one who holds Christ is always victorious!

 

Dear Soul,

            I understand that what you are feeling is my fault. I apologize for allowing this feeling to consume you, but it just so happens to be the luck of the draw. Many bad choices have led to this inculcation of pure agony, and there is little to be said about those. You have chosen to cast aside the normal procedures of conduct for the shear execution of passion or rage, depending on who you are talking too. What was once beautiful has morphed into a colossal disaster, which has caused a collapse in your spirit. Today, I am not writing to tell you that it will all be okay. Actually, it is exactly the opposite.

Despite your best efforts to stay on the established path, you have been met at the crossroads of pain and agony. What you did not realize at the time is that those seemingly divergent paths come to a head and merge into a larger road. This road, if followed, will always lead to me. It is quite funny when you think about how your best intentions always turn to dust. Your pitiful efforts are laughable. You probably should feel the way you do but who am I to say. I know you “feel” bad. Maybe it would have been better had you met with someone else like anger or sadness. Oh well, you got stuck with me. No matter, I will make you focus all of your attention on me so that when you think you are free, all you are is distracted from the train wreck coming your way. I am the one with whom you must contend. Your intentions are weak, and your heart is waning.

Really, I am the inevitable night that comes immediately after dusk. Those would be your mistakes if you did not gather. I am the unsatiated night, but instead of rest, you find restlessness and clamor. The clamoring eats away at you until you are too distraught to put up a fight. Do not fret though, all of this will come to an end…. or maybe it won’t. I think it best if you realize there is no up; there is no progress; there is no more will to fight. My will is far too great for you to overcome. What, God? He will not accept you. It seems obvious based on how you decide to choose. I mean, you met the world with your uncontrollable anger which has brought you to me. Oh, and hey, do not worry; those unmistakable mistakes will continue to pour in so it’s best if you refrain from fighting it.

                                                            Sincerely,

                                                                        Your Absolute Best Bud,

                                                                                    Shame

 

Dear Shame,

            Hello, I am writing this on behalf of your “friend,” Soul. You have such a confident spirit; I wonder if you have misplaced it. It seems like you are trying to compensate for some frailty that is naturally within you. Your incessant pounding of Soul’s apparent fallibility is a paramount mistake. Why do you ask? Well, I think what you have failed to realize is that Soul is not alone in his “losing” fight. Soul may be blind and utterly focused on his “losing,” but I am here to tell you, he has already won. This victory is not found in his taking prisoner those mistakes. Rather, this victory has been found in Christ and his complete and utter destruction of the fallibility of mankind. Of course, this victory is on layaway, but it will be realized in the end. Oh, also, I am always with Soul even though he may not feel me there, nor see me, my presence is without question. I implore you to take a moment to realize that fact because Soul’s weakness is nothing compared to my unquestioning strength. It is my strength that brings fire and ignites the spirit. Soul is nothing different. Though this time he may be focused on you. It is only a matter of time that the flame of my strength will become apparent and your reign will inevitably come to an end. Please, before you try and take anyone else captive by your deceptive lies, realize that if I am there, you have already lost. Thanks for your time and consideration.

                                                            Sincerely,

                                                                        Your Complete Friend,

                                                                                    The Holy Spirit

 

Dear Soul,

            You know something? It is quite funny how you have your friend write a letter in reply, but I am not Shame. I’ll tell you what; Shame should not be your concern. Shame comes as a secondary response based on your usage of something primary. If you want to show some gratitude, I think it should be shown to me. Without me, you would not be able to accomplish much of anything. I provide you with motivation and the inextricable will to keep going on. In fact, without me, you wouldn’t even stand up for yourself. Sure, I can take it a little too far sometimes, but I always get the job done. Plus, who cares about the feelings of those who are just in the way. What matters is what we think and finishing what we started. You don’t need solace in doing the right thing. What you need is me and the fire that I bring to burn through all of those accomplishments you want to reach. Knocking people off is what I do best, and I think you’d be hard-pressed to get there without me. Confidence and arrogance are the same things; it's just that society has demonized one and not the other.

What is more, most people don’t care to push you aside to get what they want and with me around that will never happen. In fact, most people will be too afraid to step to you when I’m around. Look, I don’t think we should part and it would be a huge mistake for you to leave me by the wayside, so don’t do it. I will always be one that you can count on amidst the fog of life. Be in touch soon, I’m sure.

                                                            Sincerely,

                                                                        The One You Can Count On,

                                                                                    Anger

Dear Anger,

            How are you? Not satisfied, I’m sure. You should be aware that Soul may have a problem with recognizing who is friends are and you have some special relationship with him, which I will probably never understand. With that said, I find it amusing that you think it is because of you that he “gets things done” as you say. Sure, you definitely get people out of the way but at what cost? It seems the only reason things get done with you around is not in direct response to “how” you do things; it seems to be in response to the things “that” you do. Yes, you could argue that it is because of you but is that what is good or right? Solace does seem like a rather odd concept coming from you, especially when you are miles away from such an ideal. Joy should be at the forefront of Soul’s mind and I will be there to help him bring in the quiet. It is in the clam of his spirit that contentment is found. In fact, there is an immense amount of meaning there and others appreciate the presence it brings, unlike the furious ego following in your wake. If you have not realized yet, I believe you are a parasite that leeches onto the weakest parts of Soul. However, I will say there are times when the things that you do can be useful but when you are out of control and it hurts others its time to take pause. You should know better than most that justification is important and too many times, you act in opposition to this idea. Just remember there is a place and time for what you bring, and you would be wise to put yourself back into those areas; otherwise you stand to be lost forever. Take a pause and be the best version of yourself that you can be.

                                                            Sincerely,

                                                                        A Concerned Friend,

                                                                                    Peace

 

Dear Soul,

            Oh, how it has been so long since our last goodbye. Fret not my precious one. I am here to tell you that I would like to return. I know that you think I ruined you, but really it was your appetite. You know that unsaid rule? The one that seems to follow every male-kind and seems to be so effortless. It is part of your nature and you can feed the skin. Exuberance should be the sound that echoes forth from the venereal components of your heart and mind—navigating from thoughtful action to thoughtless desire. It is your passion which drives you, Soul. Nothing short of full commitment to emptiness is acceptable. Yes, I know I am dramatic, but it seems most of these venereal actions are quite dramatic. How are you supposed to walk without the light? What I bring is an ever-bright light that cascades off your passions. It allows you to see you for who you are. You should never forget all the goodness I have brought to you. Sure, it may have led to other places and scratched your heart, but it was pleasant while it lasted. With that said, I will see you again very soon. You cannot escape the “joy” I bring.

                                                            With Love,

                                                                        Lust

 

Dear Lust,

            I should begin with a proper greeting, so good evening. I found your treatise a little misguided. It seems as though you have put your trust in yourself or at least your methods. May it be said that I agree and you can and often do “ruin” people (your word). Oh, I’m sorry; you do not ruin people but rather, it is the appetite within them. Shifting the blame for your lack of control seems slightly ironic. May I suggest that you learn some temperance? Of course, you do not have to but I think it would go far in taking some responsibility for what you do and not how others respond. Its much like putting a dog in the corner and full of fear; you know full well it will bite so what do you expect from a fallen and imperfect person? I know what I expect and self-control is not part of it.

Now, self-control, much like many other things, can be learned and practiced, but someone has to have the correct mind and attitude. The disposition is important and that is why I think you fall short so often. Feeding the skin is not a virtue nor is giving in to those “venereal” parts. Truly it is a pathetic excuse that one should show such lack of control. Yes, I will use strong language to express a certain ideal because when you are committed to another human person through the beauty of marriage, acting out your passions should strictly be limited to that person. Sure, I guess one could argue there will be a decrease in the overall pleasure of the world but that assumes this loss is a bad thing. I submit to you that pleasure is not the purpose of existence but rather is it to give honor, glory, and love. All three to God and love to all. Not a venereal type of love which is reserved for one. But a familial love for those who are with you in Christ and a friendly love for the lost. It is through the gospel message and our dispositions of temperance and self-control that we are fulfilled. Simply providing some food for thought and I suggest that you put your passions to good use by thinking deeply and passionately about what is really important.

                                                            Many Blessings,

                                                                        Chastity

Conclusion

            Though the letters are few and the information seems foggy, we must not forget that no one ever sees every part of another. Dave has many struggles, and it can be seen by the endless back and forth. If it were not for the virtues, he might have been lost long ago. The virtues are the pillars on which to erect the exterior of your home and Christ is the foundation. Don’t you find it odd that the culture is shifting? If you do, then I think you have missed something. For positive change to occur, virtues must be at the forefront of our physical endeavors while being guided by the will of Christ in us. If Dave can help others through his internal struggle, how much more will we all be blessed? No, we should not place ourselves in a struggle, but we should surrender them to Christ and allow the Holy Spirit to consume us. Our virtues will rise as a result.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apathy Hinders Inquiry: An Argument Against Apathy and Strong Agnosticism

Know Your Why: The Importance of Apologetics

Open Theism and Evangelicalism